NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Gain professional, intercultural experience interning with a community organization, NGO, or private enterprise focused on environment, development, and sustainability.
WHY INTERN IN INDIA?
India’s vibrant civil society and dynamic democracy provide varied and unique internship opportunities with organizations working to address issues related to the environment, development, and sustainability. This virtual online internship and seminar will focus on sustainable development in the Indian context and the role private, community-based, and nongovernmental entities play in responding to the challenges related to India’s rapid economic growth. In order to address urgent issues of poverty and environmental degradation, India is finding ways to rethink its approach to development to create sustainable local, regional and global futures.
Before your internship begins, you will receive an introduction to the broader cultural, social, and political context of India, NGOs and civil society space, India’s development and environmental concerns, workplace norms, and the ethics of virtually interning with an Indian organization. Potential internship focus areas include climate change, environmental conservation, watershed restorations, community development, education, disaster prevention, sustainable mountain development, water and sanitation, urban air and water pollution, coastal erosion and action, indigenous rights, agroecology, or another field related to your interests and career goals.
You will be expected to devote approximately 37.5 hours a week both on synchronous and asynchronous course activities. Synchronous activities may include orientation sessions, seminar country and theme specific lectures, initial meetings with your internship advisor, group reflection sessions, and project presentations. Frequency, duration, and scheduling of synchronous activities will be determined the first week of the course in conversation with participants to find mutually convenient times. In the event that a student cannot attend a live session, every effort will be made to provide a recording, transcript, or summary for off-line viewing.
Asynchronous activities may include seat time at your internship, break-out groups, check-ins with your academic director, internship coordinator and your internship mentor, writing progress reports, discussion boards, completing assignments and a final paper, and using audio or video to record reflections on the internship experience. Students are required to demonstrate a strong online presence by participating in group discussions, answering questions, and interacting with course participants and staff.
- Develop a strong foundation on issues related to the environment and sustainability in the context of India.
- Understand the role, approaches, and impact of local community organizations, NGOs, or private enterprises in issues of environment, development, and sustainability.
- Gain international work experience through an internship with a local community organization, NGO, or private enterprise based in India.
- Develop your professional, intercultural communication skills.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website
for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
- Orientation to India, workplace norms, and internship ethics
- Six-week internship with a local or nongovernmental organization or private enterprise working on development and sustainability
- Weekly seminar discussions with your cohort and academic director and meetings with your internship supervisor
- A final paper and presentation describing, analyzing, and synthesizing your internship experience
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
SIT PROGRAM PROTECTION
In these uncertain times, you shouldn’t have to worry about your investment in SIT. Click here
to find out how you’re protected.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD